History of Oakwood

beldingcrc
1958 – First meeting was on July 13 in the American Legion hall, a building that had been the city’s first school building. Two years later the church bought the building. The founding pastor was evangelist Peter Doot.

1973 – The property on M-91 where the church presently is located was purchased. The name Oakwood was selected, and the original sanctuary was built.

1976 – Oakwood organizes as an official church within the Christian Reformed Church denomination. 38 families, 94 members by profession of faith and 59 members by baptism. An educational wing was added to the sanctuary this year as well.

1977 – Oakwood Preschool opens with a staff of two and 41 students.

1981 – Faith Community Christian School is formed as an independent Christian elementary school (now located on Fisk Road).

1998 – The third expansion of the original building on M-91 is completed allowing the church to continue to grow.

Today – There are 46 families, 136 professing members and 63 members by baptism. The preschool has 120 students. The church employs about 15 full and part-time people, most of whom are teachers in the preschool.

oakwoodexterior